ABA members know bookshops and books have the power to unite communities - to educate, delight and heal.
Over the past year more than 16-million people have experienced lockdown in Australia and been unable to visit bookshops across the country. Love Your Bookshop Day 2021 (#LYBD2021) aims to bring our book loving communities together in spite of separation, and to celebrate the stories, the sustenance and support available in a bookshop.
So, this #LYBD2021 let’s ‘blow up’ the internet with love for bookshops! Let’s connect communities across borders and promote the comfort and delights of a bookshop. It can be your own, a sister store, or one in your favourite get-a-way country town. Tells us why and tell us with heart!
Below are a few activities planned for LYBD2021, there’s something for everyone – online and IRL. Get involved and share your bookshop love by tagging #LYBD2021 #loveyourbookshopday across social: Twitter (@BooksellersAu) Facebook (@LoveYourBookshop) and on Instagram (@loveyourbookshopday)
This #LYBD2021ABA is running three special competitions: a kids colouring comp, an adult and a kids poetry competition. Winners will receive LYBD pins and ABA vouchers to be redeemed at their local bookshop. Find the colouring sheet and more information on the competition page .
Special LYBD Chat 10, Looks 3 podcast
Chat 10, Looks 3 podcast with Annabel Crabb and Leigh Sales is joining in LYBD in 2021! The episode will be released in the lead up to 9 October – details TBA. Stay tuned to find out more!
Ways to engage if you are in lockdown
- Create a window display with #LYBD2021 posters plus bunting and streamers sent to members.
- Offer a special LYBD2021 discount or double loyalty points for online and ‘click and collect’ purchases on the day
- Create a special #LYBD2021 gift pack with a gift-wrapped book, non-book item and card for customers to send to friends and family in lockdown or those they can’t see in person
Ways to engage online
- Share #LYBD2021 dates
- Share #LYBD2021 competitions
- Share #LYBD2021 tiles and videos
- Share your #LYBD2021 plans – how are you going to celebrate?
- Make sure you tag #LYBD2021and share the fun!
Instore engagement ideas
- Display #LYBD2021 posters, bunting and streamers in store for a special LYBD display
- Share #LYBD2021 competitions
- Create a #LYBD2021 blackboard/sign for the footpath
- Ask staff to dress up as book characters
- Invite authors, poets and illustrators to visit the store for signings or story-time
- Create a story wall – by using a big piece of butcher’s paper/blackboard or whiteboard
- Run a lucky dip for gold coin donation to the Indigenous Literacy Fund (#ILF) or other charity that is important to your local community
- Hold a steet BBQ to celebrate with your local community
- Provide customers with a special LYBD2021 promotional discount on the day
- Create an instore treasure hunt using books titles as clues for customers to get to know the store layout and the staff
- Create a themed party around a new book or a book by a local author
Stay in touch
This year ABA will host LYBD catch ups on Zoom to keep members up to date and answer questions about LYBD2021 planning in the lead up to the big day – look out for an invitation to the first one, 6pm Wednessday September 8th.